Hilscher-Clarke Electric Company (HC) is over 100 years old and made up of approximately 400 employees. With headquarters in Canton, Ohio, and facilities in Akron, Coshocton, Massillon, Wintersville, and Columbus, Hilscher-Clarke serves a myriad of industries and specializes in 24-hour maintenance/repair, advanced testing, automation, commercial, industrial, electrical engineering, health care, oil & gas, residential, and low-voltage (data, voice, video) work. Find a comprehensive list of services on our website.
Scott Goodspeed, a 17-year veteran of the company, has been president of Hilscher-Clarke since 2007. As president, he shares the top executive roles with John Fether, Chief Operating Officer. Their leadership, integrity, and faith-based values have continued to lead the company down a path of excellence and growth.
A Timeline of Our History
Hilscher-Clarke Electric Company is the outgrowth of two companies, Wilson Electric and Keuhn Electric, both of which started in 1901.
1912: Wilson Electric and Kuehn Electric merged to become Kuehn-Wilson Electric.
1915: Keuhn-Wilson Electric changed its name to State Electric.
1916: The company became a member of the National Electrical Contractors Association (NECA).
1926: Walt Hilscher and Roy Clarke bought State Electric and changed the name of the company to Hilscher-Clarke Electric Company.
1945: Hilscher-Clarke Electric Company (HC) was incorporated under the laws of the State of Ohio. Walt Hilscher and Roy Clarke transferred the assets of their partnership to the capital of the new company, and the new corporation began its existence with $75,000 in capital.
1959: Roy Clarke became the president of the company after Walt Hilscher passed away.
1965: William “Bill” Clarke assumed the presidency when his father, Roy Clarke, retired.
1985: Donald Colaner was named President to succeed Bill Clarke, who was named Chairman of the Board.
1994: Mr. Clarke and Mr. Colaner retired, but continued to serve on the company’s Board of Directors as Chairman and Vice-Chairman respectively. Upon Mr. Colaner’s retirement, William B. Henne was named President.
1999: HC had its first corporate acquisition, Borden-Kircher Electric, located in Coshocton, Ohio.
2002: State Electrical Engineering Company, LLC (SEEC) was formed as the first additional operating company of HC. It offers full design and engineering services to clients.
2005: HC reached a milestone in corporate history, with the majority of the ownership being held by the current management team. A new slate of Board of Directors was elected: Jim Bower, Charles Tyburski, Scott Whetstone, Bill Henne, Ron Becker, and Scott Goodspeed.
2007: William Henne retired and Ron Becker, Professional Engineer and employee of HC since 1985, became CEO, while Scott Goodspeed became President and Chief Operating Officer. Barbara Zwick was appointed as the Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer of the Board. HC began a new wholly-owned operating company called Advanced Electrical Testing and Preventative Maintenance, LLC (AET). This division expanded the services of HC, offering infrared thermography and other preventative maintenance programs, making it the second operating company of HC.
2009: The company made its second corporate acquisition – ET Electric Company, LLC, in Toledo, Ohio. This became the third wholly-owned operating company of HC. This addition expanded the company’s regional presence by introducing and expanding upon the services offered, such as traffic signalization and line/highway work. HC also began its fourth wholly-owned operating company – CTC Technologies, LLC. This division continued to expand the services of HC into the healthcare and construction markets by offering nurse call and other low-voltage technologies.
2014: After more than ten years of significant growth, the company updated its succession planning milestones and introduced two vice presidents (Steven Chumney, Vice President of Commercial Operations and John Fether, Vice President of Industrial Operations). In order to strategically position the HC brand with the current operating conditions, as well as to begin the next platform for managing their continued growth, a few department groups were realigned. The AET and Industrial Specialties divisions were combined and became the Advanced Testing Division of HC. The CTC and TeleData divisions were also combined and became the Data Voice Video (DVV) division. The wholly-owned subsidiary, ET Electric Company LLC, was divested to better align resources within the targeted markets.
2017: In May, Mr. Becker began his move toward retirement by stepping down from his position as CEO and became Senior Electrical Engineer & Construction Services Manager. Scott Goodspeed remained the President of the company and John Fether was promoted to the position of Chief Operating Officer. That same month, HC opened its Akron branch office in Tallmadge, OH, in order to more effectively expand business in the Akron area. HC also began a partnership with Mid-City Electric, forming the operating company MCHC Power Solutions, LLC in order to jointly serve the Central Ohio market.
2018: The Wintersville, OH office was opened to better serve the growing customer base in Southeastern, OH and along the Ohio River Corridor. This year also included the acquisition of Wolgamott Electric, expanding HC’s services to include the residential market.